Tuesday, December 9, 2008

HOF gets Gordon, snubs Santo

The Veterans Committee of the Hall of Fame has reviewed the qualifications of a couple dozen candidates and decided to elect Joe Gordon, while snubbing the likes of Joe Torre and, most significantly, Ron Santo.

A couple of months ago, when the lists first came out, I reviewed the qualifications of the candidates. You can read my old posts here: Joe Gordon, Vern Stephens, Wes Ferrell, Sherry Magee, Bucky Walters, Carl Mays, Deacon White, and others.

I would have voted for Joe Gordon from the old-timers ballot and Torre, Santo, and Kaat from the new ballot.

I'm very surprised Torre didn't make it, but I suspect Torre will get in once he's retired completely. They waited to induct Tommy Lasorda until after he retired, too.

It's a shame about Kaat and Santo. They were truly great players and they really belong in there.

But anyway, congratulations to Joe Gordon's family.

No comments:

ShareThis