Friday, May 9, 2008

Stengelese

Today I'm going to talk about Casey Stengel, the legendary player and manager for the Dodgers, Yankees, and Mets.

Through six decades in baseball, Stengel was known as both clown and genius, prankster and innovator. During his playing days, he once doffed his cap to let a bird fly out. Another time, he supposedly disappeared into an outfield drainage hole, only to reappear in time to make a play.

But it's his skill with the English language that makes him one of the most lovable characters in baseball history. Some examples:

“I don’t know if he throws a spitball, but he sure spits on the ball.”

“I was pitching batting practice and they told me not to throw so hard. I wanted to impress the manager, so I threw as hard as I could. Then hitters commenced hitting balls over buildings. Then I threw harder and they hit the ball harder. Then, I told the manager I was really an outfielder.”

“If we’re going to win the pennant, we’ve got to start thinking we’re not as good as we think we are.”

“Most people my age are dead.”

“When a fielder gets a pitcher into trouble, the pitcher has to pitch himself out of a slump he isn’t in.”

“There comes a time in every man’s life, and I’ve had plenty of them.” (A quote that also appears on his gravestone.)

Want more? Go here.

No comments:

ShareThis